Perhaps only 20% of real-life thinking is represented by the numbers and the predictions, yet organizations hate risk and insist on using these inference and assumption-based predictions. The only way to find out the other 80% of the story is to take time to listen to people. Explore how each person makes decisions in many similar scenarios — not just the one involving your product or service. Develop a sense of empathy that you can use later in your own decision-making. These patterns are what you use to balance big data. It’s pretty simple, but if your boss may resist this fuzzy qualitative data. Your best weapon is to then develop empathy with your bosses, then address the underlying goals confidently with your qualitative data.
More Talks by Indi
Paying Better Attention to the Problem
TopicsBusiness Strategy, Data, Design Strategy, Design Thinking, Diversity & Inclusion, Ethics, Innovation, Methodology, Privilege, Product Development, Service Design
We need to balance our joy of solving things with understanding others' perspectives....
Sparking Creativity Through Empathy
Mental models are diagrams that represent the underlying philosophies and emotions...
Just Following Convention
What are the conventions and myths we encounter daily in our vocabulary, during...
There are many kinds of empathy: emotional empathy, mirror neurons, empathic concern,...
Digging Beyond User Preferences
TopicsDesign Strategy, Methodology
Many of the applications you develop are applications you would use. This makes it...
Discover More TalksMore talks
Helping researchers do their best work. How Research Ops can help.
Speaker Emma Boulton
Understand what’s important to User Researchers so you can operationalise research. ...
Workshop at California College of the Arts
TopicsDesign Strategy, Ethics
Speaker Stephanie Lucas
"Red Team Blue Team for Designers" workshop at the California College of the Arts...
Design for Real Life
DisciplinesContent Strategy, Product Design, User Research
Speaker Sara Wachter-Boettcher
We can’t always predict who will use our products, or what emotional state...
Speakers, Get Featured
Get connected with event organizers interested in engaging women and gender non-binary speakers in design and tech.Sign Up
Already have an account?Log in
Know a great speaker? Let us know so we can invite them to be part of our directory and amplify their voice.Nominate them